In October 2011 the human population will reach 7 billion. But the Earth is big and space is not the problem; it’s balance. If all 7 billion stood shoulder-to-shoulder we would only fill the city of Los Angeles. Yet 5% consume 23% of the world’ energy and a whopping 38% lack adequate sanitation.
Here are some population facts.
- In 1800 there were 1 billion people on the planet. It took us thousands of years to reach this milestone
- 130 years later in 1930 we doubled that to hit 2 billion.
- About every second 5 people are born and 2 people die.
- We speak over 7,000 languages.
- Yet 13% don’t have clean drinking water!
As we welcome the 7 billionth person in the world let’s hope we are reminded that there is plenty for everyone and no one should go hungry or thirsty.
This video from National Geographic points out that we are growing fast and 7 billion people need balance more than space.